UPDATE: XCv2 is now in the prototype submission phase! Deadline for receiving all entries is August 17th 2009.
Showcase Your Ingenuity
Welcome to XContestv2 (XCv2), developers! XCv2, BroadSoft’s second annual developer challenge, is an opportunity to test your ingenuity and create a new user experience while winning cash prizes and earning worldwide recognition.
Co-sponsored by IBM, XCv2 is open to all application developers, software development teams and independent software vendors (ISVs). XCv2 challenges developers to create innovative, new application mashups using BroadSoft’s free Xtended Web Services and other open APIs, which make life easier and more engaging for consumers or help businesses achieve greater efficiencies.
BroadSoft understands that third-party development is critical to a service provider’s success. XCv2 is connecting developer innovation to the needs of our global customer base, which includes eight of the top 10 and 14 of the top 25 largest carriers in the world. Through the Xtended Marketplace, BroadSoft’s online storefront of third-party applications, developers have the opportunity to reach over 500 million subscribers served by BroadSoft customers.
- Contestants will have stake in winning from a prize money pool of $43,000.
- The top two winners in each category will receive $1K toward a trip and a free pass to Connections 2009, BroadSoft’s annual user conference, where they will demonstrate their applications to approximately 800 telecommunications industry executives.
*Three prizes of $500 each for the first three complete entries submitted in each category.
Submission Schedule and Instructions
- Sign Up for the Xtended Developer Program now! It’s free and only takes a minute.
Easily integrate your applications with BroadWorks voice functions using a web portal and sandbox. Test your new applications against a live BroadWorks system in a known environment. Gain access to APIs, sample code, documentation, Q&A forums, blogs, wikis and support from BroadSoft experts.
- for XCv2 by April 27. By registering you are automatically agreeing to the terms and conditions set forth here.
- Your winning idea was due May 18. Click here to submit now.
- The submission deadline has been extended to August 17th due to the Polycom Bonus Challenge. Be one of the first in your category to submit and win! Submit your prototype submission here now.
- Finalists announced on September 9.
You may submit your application into the category that best suits its use case. You can enter an application within one category only; however, you can submit more than one application.
- XBusiness – Applications that enhance the productivity and /or convenience of the business user. Entries here would be generally applicable to a business in any industry. For example, a generic browser toolbar for click to call and that manages forwarding settings.
- XConsumer – Applications that make the busy day-to-day life of a consumer easier to manage. For example, an application that presents an incoming call notification on a TV or one that allows families to stay in touch better or that enhances personal safety and security.
- XVertical – Applications that are specific to a business vertical, e.g., Hospitality, Real Estate, Healthcare, Financial Services, Professional /Legal, Government, Education, etc. For example, an application that lets lawyers or consultants track the time spent on the phone with their clients.
- XCool – This is a broad category for applications that you know are cool but can’t be defined.
Application Grading Criteria (How to Win)
- 40% category specific grade: This will include the relevance of the submission to the category, use of other open APIs relevant to the category, breadth of impact on the particular category, and its potential for revenue generation.
- 20% user experience: How easy is the application to provision and use through the Xtended Marketplace.
- 20% usage of suggested tools and APIs: Xtended Services Interface and IBM APIs
- 20% level of innovation
Follow BroadSoft on Social Media Sites
Questions? You can always reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I was able to sell my app to a major service provider in the U.S. By working with BroadWorks through the Xtended program, I have access to a global pool of service providers who could try out my mashup.
-- Joseph Farrar, President of JoeDeveloper.NET